November 30, 2020

Messiah: the Advent

If I were lost on a desert island and could only have one recording with me, it would have to be Messiah by Handel. (Ok, never mind that I wouldn’t have electricity.) For me, it’s like a greatest hits album. I happily sing along to them all, and it’s really funny when I try to do bass arias in the same key. Anyway, I sang so many Christmas concerts with the Portland (ME) Symphony Orchestra back in the ‘80s that to this day if you wake me out of a sound sleep, I can still sing the Hallelujah Chorus from memory. 

Part One begins with the prophecies of the coming of the Messiah and, since this is the first week of Advent, I thought I’d treat you to a rendition of Comfort Ye My People / Every Valley by one of my favorite opera singers Juan Diego Florez.

Enjoy and have a blessed Advent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Goodbye...for now

I began this blog on November 16, 2020, and now comes the time to bring it to an end. Or at least put it on hiatus. November 16, 2021, is th...