April 26, 2021

In Praise of the Old Testament

Some Christians don’t pay enough attention to the Old Testament. Their love of the New Testament and the words of Jesus is admirable, but they are missing out of deeper understanding of the prophecy of the Messiah and what an amazing event it was in its fulfillment.

Take Abraham for example. He was faithful to God to the point that he was ready to sacrifice his only son. He didn’t have to go through with it, but the Son of God did sacrifice Himself. In Psalm 22 David laments “My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” words that Jesus would utter from the cross. In verses 16-18 David describes a scene that would happen at the Crucifixion: “…they have pierced my hands and feet – I can count all my bones – they stare and gloat over me; they divide my garments among them, and for my raiment they cast lots.”

Again in Isaiah 53:7 we have a prefigurement of the “trial” of Jesus: “He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth; like a lamb that is led to the slaughter, and like a sheep that before its shearers is dumb, so he opened not his mouth.”

Later, after the Resurrection, Jesus meets the two men on the road to Emmaus and “he interpreted to them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.” (Luke 24:27). The scriptures, of course, at that time referred to the Old Testament. All the readings in the temple and words that Jesus taught with came from these scriptures. The whole old covenant was preparing us for the new covenant that we’d have as disciples of Jesus. 

The New Testament and Psalms are my primary daily Bible reading, but every few years I go back and read through the Old Testament. It always deepens my appreciation and understanding of the life and teachings of our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Goodbye...for now

I began this blog on November 16, 2020, and now comes the time to bring it to an end. Or at least put it on hiatus. November 16, 2021, is th...