May 14, 2021

American Popular Song 2

In the universe of American Popular Song two of the brightest stars are the brothers Gershwin: George (music) and Ira (lyrics). With a string of musical shows and dozens of hit songs, the Gershwins were the toast of Broadway from their first show in 1924 until George’s untimely death in 1937. Ira went on to write with other composers such as Jerome Kern, Kurt Weill, and Harold Arlen. 

Ira’s poetic talent was among the best. He used clever rhymes such as Pollyannas and bananas and the marriage “knot” that was “not for me.” He easily was able to use an internal rhyming scheme – “who tell you Fate supplies a mate.” His sweet lyrics to “But Not for Me” belie the sadness of lost love, the “clouds of gray” of a “Russian play.” The song is from the 1930 show Girl Crazy and was introduced by Ginger Rogers.

Most of the popular songs begin with a verse and move into one or two choruses. Often singers would begin with the chorus and use the verse before the second (or reprise of the first) chorus. That is the format Frank Sinatra uses in his version of “But Not for Me.”

But Not for Me

(Verse)

Old man sunshine, listen, you

Don’t you tell me dreams come true

Just try it, and I’ll start a riot

 

Beatrice Fairfax, don’t you dare

Ever tell me she will care

I’m certain, it’s the final curtain

 

I never wanna hear

From any cheerful Pollyannas

Who tell you Fate supplies a mate

It’s all bananas

 

(Chorus)

They’re writing songs of love

But not for me

A lucky star’s above

But not for me

 

With love to lead the way

I found more clouds of gray

Than any Russian play

Could guarantee

 

I was a fool to fall

And get that way

Hi-ho, alas! And lack-a-day

 

Although I can’t dismiss

The memory of her kiss

I guess she’s not for me

 

It all began so well

But what an end

This is the time

A fella needs a friend

 

When every happy plot

Ends with a marriage knot

But there’s no knot for me.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Goodbye...for now

I began this blog on November 16, 2020, and now comes the time to bring it to an end. Or at least put it on hiatus. November 16, 2021, is th...